Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Mid 30's...Give or take 20 years!

If you have to pee, you might want to go before you read this post. If you don't go....I'm not responsible for any puddle that results from the laughter this might bring!

So...let me tell you a little story about the past week or so of my life. A guy I know from church & work closely with in ministries approached me a few weeks ago to see if I'd be interested in meeting a single guy (from here on out, I'll be referring to him as "single guy" in order to avoid confusion & I will not use names to protect the innocent :-) ). This guy had started coming to his small group on Sunday evenings, and he thought we'd be a good match. He didn't want me to feel pressured but thought it may be worth a try. He explained that "single guy" had impressed him with his knowledge of the Bible and seemed to be a very Godly man. He thought "single guy" was probably in his mid to late 30's, and he thought "single guy" was fairly good looking. At this point, I was no longer thinking about "single guy" because I was too caught up in the fact that this guy appeared to be pretty nervous approaching me about this proposition. In the years I've know him & worked with him, I've never seen him nervous. It actually cracked me up! He was worried about this being uncomfortable for me & "single guy" so he hadn't said anything to anyone. At this point, the only people that new about this were him & me. I agreed to meet "single guy" because I wasn't out anything if I did and it didn't go well. No big deal...right?

It was decided that I would take a night off from my small group (a group I lead) to go and "observe" his group (that was my cover so it wouldn't be too obvious). So...it all happened two Sundays ago. Let me describe the night for you....

I was to go to his small group, which started at 6 p.m., to "observe" (a.k.a. meet "single guy") for the night. He told me the address for the house they were meeting at was in the bulletin. I was familiar with the road but didn't know the exact house address. So...as I was driving & on my way there, I looked in the bulletin to find the house address. Much to my surprise I realized that they were not having a Bible study that night, but instead they were having a game night & pizza party. This was my first sign that something was up.

My second sign came as I entered the house. The small group (now classified as a party) was being held at the house of our school nurse, but remember that no one was supposed to know what was happening. As I entered the house, she greeted me & mentioned that she was glad I could come. She didn't seem surprised at all! I found this a bit strange, but hung up my coat & moved into the kitchen where others were gathering. At this point, several women from church approached me. One wanted to know if I was nervous. Another said that "he" wasn't here yet (I thought she was talking about the matchmaker), but then she said she couldn't wait until we met. At this point I realized that something was definitely up! I asked how they knew, and they just giggled. Apparently the matchmaker became a bit nervous about his choice the previous Sunday. So after "single guy" left, matchmaker approached a few of the ladies to see what they thought. This turned into the rest of the group discussing the set up. By the time I arrived on Sunday night, everyone but "single guy" knew why I was there!

Throughout the night, my name was mentioned more than I can explain to you. I began to get tired of hearing my own name! :-) Groups of people would also gather several feet behind "single guy's" back to talk about how things were going. I was asked several times what I thought. It was a bit uncomfortable, but not for long. After a bit, I couldn't do anything but laugh about it. Sitting there and watching the whole thing unfold was hysterical! The night ended with a friend of "single guy" going up to him to talk about me, and a few women coming to me to see if I'd be interested in going out on a group date. I felt like I was back in high school! That's where the night ended.

Now...fast forward to this week (a week and a half later). I found out that "single guy" is not in his mid to late 30's as was originally thought. "Single guy" is actually 54 and will be turning 55 in the near future (that's 22 years older than me if you're counting). When I told my mom about this, she told me that age was only a number, and seeing as how I can retire at an early age being a teacher, him & I could retire about the same time. Leave it to my mom to look at the bright side of things. :-) I've also found out that the men wanted me to know I looked hot that night. They think I should always wear my hair straight like I did that day, and...I found out that "single guy" thought I was 20! There was a group of teens at the party that night, and he thought I was there with them.

So...I don't know what will become of the group date, but I've been told that a couple of people in the group are now trying to think of people they can set me up with. What a hoot! My life is never dull & boring!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should know I'd have a comment. I'm not sure I ever remember you having straight hair. If thats the range you are being lead by friends we do know someone who is just over 90 days from retiremnt.

I gotta go to the boys room ....