Saturday, March 3, 2007

A Terrible Tragedy

By now, probably most of you have heard about the tragic accident that took the life of four student athletes from Bluffton University. When I first got the news this morning from my dad, I was stunned. Being a Bluffton alum, I know the devastation something like this will have on the close-knit community. Bluffton was not only where I attended college...it became a family to me.

Some of my best friends, to this day, are people I met at Bluffton. While there, I met great people, grew closer to Christ, and started the process of finding out who I was. I did not play on an athletic team while in college, but I was a member of Camerata Singers (an auditioned choir). Like the athletic teams, we spent numerous hours together in rehearsals and got to know each other well. We also toured during Spring Break. Those tours are some of my fondest memories. There's nothing like traveling the United States doing what you love to do! We were always ready to return home after 10 days on the road, but we also missed it when we were back.

Yesterday afternoon, Bluffton's baseball team left campus ready to make some memories of their own, and unfortunately things took a sharp turn in the wrong direction. But...was it the "wrong" direction? It's hard to think that God would allow four boys to die at such a young age, but during times like these, I have to have faith and believe that He knows what is best. Was it His plan or the result of our free choice? Does it matter? Six people are dead, and that will not change.

My heart aches for the families of these six, and it also aches for the campus community. Things will never be the same. Please remember the families of:
David Betts of Bryan, Ohio
Scott Harmon of Lima, Ohio
Cody Holp of Arcanum, Ohio
Tyler Williams of Lima, Ohio
Jerome Niemeyer (bus driver) of Columbus Grove, Ohio
Jean Niemeyer (the bus driver's wife) of Columbus Grove, Ohio

No comments: