Monday, October 22, 2007

Starr's 50th Birthday

This year is my school's 50th anniversary so we had a big birthday party/celebration at school on Friday. It made for a very busy (and at times stressful) week, but it really ended on a fun & exciting note.

For our big school-wide celebration on Friday, everyone was asked to dress in their favorite decade (the decades were the 50's through the present decade). I was very excited because it gave me a chance to relive the "big hair" days of the 80's. :-) You gotta love the 80's!

As you will see in the picture below, my outfit included pegged jeans (but I must say it's harder to peg bootcut jeans than the tapered jeans we wore back then), two polo shirts (had to pick pink & green...courtesy of Goodwill) with the collar popped (for those who weren't "of the 80's"...that means the collar is standing up), a lace glove (minus the fingers of course...in true Madonna style), rubber bracelets, rubber watch, pink bead necklaces (one of which was tied in a knot), large earrings (they were in the shape of a star & rainbow colored), a Rubics Cube key chain on my belt loop, lime green mesh shoes, blue eye shadow & pink lipstick (of course I had to add the lip gloss...shine, baby, shine), and last, but certainly not least...the big hair (courtesy of Aqua Net & a teasing comb - I actually found some in the Dollar Store).

I had so much fun, and my outfit was a big hit! Here are two pictures (the first is the "total package" & the second is a close up of my hair...keep in mind the hair had been standing for over 8 hrs. at this point).




My choir also performed for the afternoon assemblies that day. We sang a song from each decade, but there was a bit of a twist (each song had been re-written to be about Starr & things the students like about Starr). Here are the songs we sang:

50's - You Ain't Nothin' but a Starr Bulldog (to Elvis' "Hound Dog")
60's - The Recess Song (to "Fun, Fun, Fun" by the Beach Boys)
70's - We are the Bulldogs (to Queen's "We are the Champions")
80's - Starr Staff (to "Mickey" by Tony Basil)
90's - Memories of Starr School (to "Friends in Low Places" by Garth Brooks)
00's - When There was Me & Food (the "When There was Me & You" from High School Musical)

No comments: