Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sophie's Story

I have been following a blog that has brought me to tears nearly every time I've read it, but it's been very powerful. Let me share a little of the story with you.

Last summer, my mom had a friend ask for prayer for a little girl who was battling cancer. The woman gave mom the blog site that had been set up so mom forwarded the site along with the prayer request to me. At that time, I didn't get on the site, but I began praying for this little girl & her family when they came to mind. A couple of months later I finally got on the blog. Wow!

The little girl's name was Sophie, and she had been diagnosed with a glioma. I went all the way back to the beginning and read every entry. The faith and courage of her mother amazed me. Some may say that I couldn't understand because I don't have children of my own, but knowing how much I love my niece, nephew & goddaughter (children who aren't even my "own"), I can't begin to fathom what this must be like - losing such a precious little gift.

Unfortunately Sophie passed away in October, but her mom (Emily) continues to post. Her most recent post included the song from Natalie Grant entitled "Held". Here are the lyrics & the music video.


Two months is too little.
They let him go.
They had no sudden healing.
To think that providence would
Take a child from his mother while she prays
Is appalling.

Who told us we'd be rescued?
What has changed and why should we be saved from nightmares?
We're asking why this happens
To us who have died to live?
It's unfair.

Chorus:
This is what it means to be held.
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive.
This is what it is to be loved.
And to know that the promise was
When everything fell we'd be held.

This hand is bitterness.
We want to taste it, let the hatred know our sorrow.
The wise hands opens slowly to lilies of the valley and tomorrow.

Chorus:
This is what it means to be held.
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive.
This is what it is to be loved.
And to know that the promise was
When everything fell we'd be held.

Bridge:
If hope is born of suffering.
If this is only the beginning.
Can we not wait for one hour watching for our Savior?

Chorus:
This is what it means to be held.
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive.
This is what it is to be loved.
And to know that the promise was
When everything fell we'd be held.


Understand why it touches her so? If you'd like to learn more about Sophie & her family, you'll find it in their blog.

No comments: