Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tonight's Big Purchase

The time has come for me to say goodbye to an old "friend". I've been trying to hang on - didn't want to lose him, but...there's nothing I can do now. His time has come...he's seen his better day.

Okay...don't be sad! I'm just talking about my antique TV! :-) This thing has seriously been in our family nearly 20 years! For the past couple of years, it been on its last leg. At first the picture wasn't very clear and the color would go, but then that progressed into random occurrences of a green screen. I quickly learned that if I tapped the floor, the picture would go back to normal. That was easy enough. Many thought I was silly at this point not to get another TV, but I kind of had a bond with this one. And besides...it was still working (most of the time).

Well...the days of random green screens soon passed which led to entire green screens that would stay for several minutes. The tap on the floor turned into a pound (or two...maybe three) on the floor (I'm sure my landlady that lives downstairs appreciated that). :-) However, over the course of the past couple of months, the pounding quit working. The only way to get the picture back was to go up to the TV and beat on the top & sides of it. Eventually it would come back on...sometime quickly & other times after I nearly bruised my hand.

So...today I took the big step (along with the help of Matt) and bought a new TV. I went from a 19'' antique (remember the green screens) to a 27'' flat screen! I was nearly in shock! :-) It looks very nice in my room.

There was only one slight problem though. The TV was big enough that it wouldn't fit in my entertainment center (which I must say was still in good condition - even though I've had it for over 9 years). :-) So...I not only had to get rid of my TV, but I also had to get rid of my entertainment center. I may need to get some grief counseling! :-)

No comments: